Welcome to the Bloggy Book Club, where we shall read to our heart's content.



Scroll down the blog for this month's discussion questions. Read the book and comment on the blog. And have fun!!!

Friday, July 10, 2009

My Endorsement

This month's book is very short and easy to read - easy as in the language is understandable; the subject matter is of course quite sad (hence the book title) and might not be considered "easy" to read in that sense.

I highly recommend you read this selection if at all possible. My copy of the book is very thin, and half of it is an "afterword" by one of Lewis' biographers. Thus, the actual reading for this month is VERY short. I would guess that there are copies of this book in local libraries because it is a widely-read book and very well known.

This is a very personal book, an insight into Lewis' soul and will help you wade through the difficult work of grief, should you ever experience great loss of any kind in your life.

I've yet to strongly recommend a book this year, but I'm going to do so this month. I know from your comments and emails to me that many of you are very busy and have fallen behind in the readings. THAT'S OKAY!!! Put the other books on your shelf, saving them for another time. But if at all possible, read A GRIEF OBSERVED by C.S. Lewis.

And then let's chat.

Happy reading!

4 comments:

Lisa Ensor said...

I have already read this, but after that convincing argument- I think I will read it again! woo hoo C.S. Lewis!

gigi said...

thank you for that pump-up. some of us needed that ;-)

Unknown said...

Ok, so I thought I would read Mere Christianity instead, but now you have convinced me to read A Grief Observed.... But I just got Death in the Garden, so I will try to get caught up on that reading as well. However, I have read the upcoming three already. Posts will come... they just might be a bit behind! Happy reading! (P.S. I am working on _Reading Lolita in Tehran_ right now and I would HIGHLY recommend it! However, it is best if you are familiar with the authors/books: Nabokov-Lolita, F. Scott Fitzgerald-The Great Gatsby, Henry James-Daisy Miller (which is up next! WOOHOO!), and Austen!)

Rissalee said...

Okay, ladies. I know you each have thoughtful insight into life, and from your own experience will have something to say about this book that will benefit the rest of us. I eagerly await your comments!!